Is Your Child Making Academic Progress?
NOW IS A GOOD TIME TO TAKE A CLOSER LOOK
The next academic quarter is upon us. By now you are either content or worried about your youngster's progress. If worried, it's a little late in the game to do much about the present school year. It is time to reflect and assess what went wrong, how can we make things better, and plan a strategy for next year.
Building a strategy includes a conversation with your child. Most likely, your child is equally unhappy about his/her school productivity. After all, this is their first "job" and many months have been invested. For some, the investment is at question, for others the outcome has fallen way short of expectations. So, a calm reflection on the year is a good first step.
Secondly, speaking with teachers and/or guidance counselors may shed light on your child's classroom conduct, participation and areas of academic strengths/weaknesses. If communication has been lacking, don't retreat now…make the appointment to achieve this needed feedback. Sometimes, previous evaluations by school personnel may need to be reviewed. Check to see if the recommendations were followed up and whether they helped or not.
After achieving all of the above, you may still have unanswered questions. At Family Guidance Centers we offer a resource to help identify problem areas or behavioral issues. Sometimes, additional testing to pinpoint learning issues may be required. Weather this is achieved by school personnel or from a private evaluation, we can assist you with this process. Now is the time to focus on what is needed and to set your plan. Decisions will need to be made regarding academic remediation , counseling , or classroom adjustments.
You can contact us at 804-743-0960 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Appointments are available at both locations. Most insurance companies provide coverage for counseling services.
- Navigating Triggering News CyclesOctober 18, 2018
- Mental Illness & the Stigma Around itSeptember 24, 2018
- Stress ManagementSeptember 17, 2018
- Taking Time to RelaxJuly 28, 2018
- End of School StressJune 13, 2018
- Anxiety! The Therapy Journey to Beat ItMarch 14, 2018
- Not My ChildFeburary 15, 2018
- Life with an Eating DisorderJanuary 31, 2018
- Tis the Season!December 6, 2017
- Peace and Non Violent ParentingMarch 16, 2017
- Creating an Effective Response to Child Sexual AbuseFeburary 16, 2017
- Adolescent Suicide Shakes Our CommunityDecember 14, 2016
- Playful ParentingJune 20, 2016
- Understanding and Managing Attention Deficit DisorderMarch 6, 2016
- Nine Essential Qualities of MindfulnessFebruary 3, 2016
- IT'S ALL ABOUT BALANCESeptember 24, 2015
- Take A Deep BreathAugust 18, 2015
- SUMMER TIME BLUESJuly 17, 2015
- A NEW YEAR for YOUFebruary 3, 2015
- 4 Steps to Managing Your Child's Screen TimeOctober 30, 2014
- Depression in Seniors: Symptoms and TreatmentSeptember 24, 2014
- Is Your Child Making Academic Progress?April 22, 2014
- Resolutions: Staying the CourseJanuary 13, 2014
- Decision timeNovember 18, 2013